2022 NESCON Supply Chain Hall of Fame Winner
Alan G Dunn, CPIM, is the 2022 New England Supply Chain Conference Hall of Fame Award winner. The qualifications for this award are multi-faceted and stringent, and Mr. Dunn has exemplified, embodied, and excelled at each one of the qualifications for this award.
One of the key award qualifications is a commitment to lifelong learning, education, and improvement both for himself and others. Alan earned a Business Management from California State University. But he has never rested on those laurels continuing to learn and explore earning the “Certified in Production & Inventory Management” (CPIM) from the ASCM/APICS.
Alan is passionate about the manufacturing industry, and in particular, global supply chain leadership and corporate governance. He has devoted his entire professional life to improving performance of professionals in the supply chain profession.
Another criteria for this award is making significant contributions to a supply chain professional organization. For more than forty years, Alan has been a member and served profession admirably, as follows:
Over his 40-year career in global supply chain consulting, Alan’s significant professional society and trade association volunteering includes:
- Past Chairman of the Board of ASCM/APICS Board of Directors.
- Current and active member in ASCM/APICS, and is a Certified Practitioner in Inventory & Production Management (CPIM).
- Current member and contributor to the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) where he won the prestigious Director of the Year Award in 2007 for his contributions to the profession of corporate governance.
- Current and frequent presenter on operations and various manufacturing industry management topics for the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA)
- Past Chairman of ASCM/APICS 2016 Nominating Committee & APICS 2016 Compensation Committee.
- Past President of the Orange County Chapter of ASCM/APICS, where he also served for 8 years on the Board of Directors.
- Past Chairman of the 1989 ASCM/APICS International Conference and Technical Exposition.
- Past Member, ASCM/APICS Body-of-Knowledge Council, an important group of individuals who are tasked with defining the operations management body-of-knowledge.
- Past Chairman of the ASCM/APICS Education Strategy Committee.
- Active volunteer on the NESCON / New England Supply Conference, contributing countless hours and expertise towards the success of the conference.
Mr. Dunn has substantial experience in organization governance; having served on a number of private, public and non-profit Boards of Directors. In addition to his own Board of Directors, Mr. Dunn currently serves as an independent Director on the following Boards:
- Idaho Asphalt Supply Corporation is the largest western states producer of standard and polymer modified asphalts (PMA) paving and road coating products and chemicals, with liquid asphalt manufacturing facilities located across seven states. Mr. Dunn is also Chair of the Board’s Compensation & Audit Committees.
- Natural Alternatives International, Inc. (NASDAQ: NAII) is an international producer of nutritional supplements with cGMP & TGA compliant factories in California and Switzerland. Mr. Dunn is also Chair of the Board’s Compensation and Audit Committees.
He is the recipient of the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) prestigious Director of the Year Award in 2007.
He also serves as President, GDI Consulting & Training Company (GDI), and a Founder of the Manufacturing Executive Institute (MEI), a manufacturing industry training provider with state-of-the-art classroom and web-enabled training facilities in southern California.
Previously, Mr. Dunn was a Vice President at Gemini Management Consulting, and a Partner at Coopers & Lybrand (now PricewaterhouseCoopers). In both positions, he led large technical manufacturing teams through innovative productivity enhancement projects. Mr. Dunn has participated in >185 manufacturing and distribution projects inside >112 companies. He has worked in 23 countries and across most manufacturing sectors.
Mr. Dunn is also the creator and lead-instructor of the 18 to 22-month Next Generation Global Supply Chain Leadership Development Program at the California Institute of Technology’s (Caltech) Center for Technology & Management Education (CTME), where he has taught since 1984. And Alan has tirelessly volunteered to help out this NESCON conference, without asking for a thing. He volunteers his time, and his equipment & technology, just to give back to the supply chain profession, and help get the next generation of supply chain practitioners up to speed (in the same way that others did that for him when he started out).
One of the most important criteria for the Hall of Fame award is the recipient’s pioneering work in the multiple areas of the supply chain profession. It is extremely difficult to summarize Alan’s accomplishments and contributions over his vast professional career. His responsibilities have involved him in every aspect of business, with heavy concentration and skillset in:
- Strategic Planning
- Supply Chain Management
- Manufacturing Management,
- Manufacturing Support,
- Operations Management,
- Cost Management,
- Business Finance.
Throughout his career, Alan has been supported by his family: his wife Jan, and 8 children (2 biological, 2 step, and 4 adopted – all successful adults now). He and Jan live on a fruit grove-farm in Southern California and share their farm with numerous dogs, cats, chickens, hawks, rabbits, squirrels, bobcats, weekend guests, and an occasional mountain lion.
All of these extraordinary accomplishments earn Alan G Dunn the 12th chair in NESCON’s (New England Supply Chain) Hall of Fame.