Alan G. Dunn, CPIM
Alan G Dunn, CPIM, was the 2015 APICS Board of Directors Chairman. He also serves as President, GDI Consulting & Training Company (GDI), and a Founder of the Manufacturing Executive Institute (MEI), a manufacturing industry training provider with state-of-the-art classroom and web-enabled training facilities in southern California.
Mr. Dunn is also the creator and lead instructor of the 18 to 22-month Next Generation Global Supply Chain Leadership Development Program at the California Institute of Technology’s (Caltech) Center for Technology & Management Education (CTME), where he has taught since 1984.
Mr. Dunn specializes in strategic planning, supply chain management, manufacturing management, operations management, cost management and business finance.
Previously, Mr. Dunn was a Vice President at Gemini Management Consulting, and a Partner at Coopers & Lybrand (now PricewaterhouseCoopers). In both positions, he led large technical manufacturing teams through innovative productivity enhancement projects. Mr. Dunn has participated in >185 manufacturing and distribution projects inside >112 companies. He has worked in 23 countries and across most manufacturing sectors.
Mr. Dunn has substantial experience in organization governance; having served on a number of private, public and non-profit Boards of Directors. In addition to his own Board of Directors, Mr. Dunn currently serves as an independent Director on the following Boards:
- Idaho Asphalt Supply Corporation is the largest western states producer of standard and polymer modified asphalts (PMA) paving and road coating products and chemicals, with liquid asphalt manufacturing facilities located across seven states. Mr. Dunn is also Chair of the Board’s Compensation & Audit Committees.
- Natural Alternatives International, Inc. (NASDAQ: NAII) is an international producer of nutritional supplements with cGMP & TGA compliant factories in California and Switzerland. Mr. Dunn is also Chair of the Board’s Compensation and Audit Committees.
Over his 40-year career in global supply chain consulting, Alan’s significant professional society and trade association volunteering includes:
- Current and active member in ASCM/APICS, and is a Certified Practitioner in Inventory & Production Management (CPIM).
- Current member and contributor to the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) where he won the prestigious Director of the Year Award in 2007 for his contributions to the profession of corporate governance.
- Current and frequent presenter on operations and various manufacturing industry management topics for the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA)
- Past Chairman of the Board of ASCM/APICS Board of Directors.
- Past Chairman of ASCM/APICS 2016 Nominating Committee & APICS 2016 Compensation Committee.
- Past President of the Orange County Chapter of ASCM/APICS, where he also served for 8 years on the Board of Directors.
- Past Chairman of the 1989 ASCM/APICS International Conference and Technical Exposition.
- Past Member, ASCM/APICS Body-of-Knowledge Council, an important group of individuals who are tasked with defining the operations management body-of-knowledge.
- Past Chairman of the ASCM/APICS Education Strategy Committee.
He is the recipient of the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) prestigious Director of the Year Award in 2007.
Mr. Dunn has a degree in Business Management from California State University, Fullerton.