Alan G. Dunn, CPIM
Alan G. Dunn, CPIM, was the 2015 Chairman of the Board of the APICS Board of Directors. He also serves as President & Chairman of GDI Consulting & Training Company, and is the founding sponsor of the Manufacturing Executive Institute (MEI), a manufacturing industry training provider with state-of-the-art classroom and web-enabled training facilities in southern California. Mr. Dunn is also a Partner in Dunkirk Governance Specialists, LLC, a Virginia-based consulting firm that provides governance consulting services to private company Boards of Directors. Also, Mr. Dunn was a past APICS Chairman of the Board of Directors.
Before founding GDI, Mr. Dunn was a Vice President at Gemini Management Consulting and a Partner at Coopers & Lybrand (now PricewaterhouseCoopers). In both positions, Mr. Dunn was responsible for leading large teams of technical manufacturing consultants in innovative productivity enhancement projects. For the ten years prior to joining Coopers & Lybrand, Mr. Dunn was President, (and Founder) of ADI, a successful systems implementation consulting and training company that Mr. Dunn sold to Coopers & Lybrand in 1990.
In addition to his 36 years of technical and management consulting experience, Mr. Dunn has several years of line management experience in manufacturing environments. He has extensive background in most functions within manufacturing companies and has participated heavily in over 150 manufacturing and distribution consulting projects in over 100 companies. Mr. Dunn has consulted in more than 20 countries and across most industrial sectors. Alan is best known for his expert knowledge in:
- Project management, including all technical, organizational & behavioral phases.
- Complex manufacturing systems, methods & factory process designs, including LEAN principles.
- Integrated cost accounting systems design & implementation.
- Product configuration and engineering change management systems.
- Supply chain methods & processes, including proven methodologies for comprehensively assessing performance & risks of mission-critical suppliers.
- High-performance management & leadership tools, including decision making & analysis toolsets.
- Performance metrics & compensation systems design & implementation.
- Corporate governance processes.
- Acquisition due-diligence methods with a particular focus on operational due-diligence.
- Shareholder value enhancements, including proven metrics for measuring enterprise valuation.
Mr. Dunn is also known as a capable mentor and instructor. He is a passionate advocate of the manufacturing industry as the most significant long-term “productive capital” contributor to industrial society.
Mr. Dunn regularly presents executive workshops at the Center for Technology & Management Education (CTME) of the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena, California. He instructs and manages the CTME certificate programs in Operations Management, Supply Chain Management, Production Management and Distribution Management. He is also a regular instructor at the Manufacturing Executive Institute (MEI), where he presents numerous workshops and web-enabled training programs. Over the duration of his career, Alan has developed and presented a significant number of multi-day executive workshops at numerous other venues throughout the world, including executive-level Operational Due Diligence courses for the American Management Association (AMA).
Alan’s significant professional society and trade association involvement includes:
- Current and active member in APICS and is a Certified Practitioner in Inventory & Production Management (CPIM).
- Current member and contributor to the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) where he won the prestigious Director of the Year Award in 2007 for his contributions to the profession of corporate governance.
- Current and frequent presenter on operations and various manufacturing industry management topics for the Institute of Management Accountants (IMA)
- Past Chairman of the Board of APICS Board of Directors.
- Past Chairman of APICS 2016 Nominating Committee & APICS 2016 Compensation Committee.
- Past President of the Orange County Chapter of APICS, where he also served for 8 years on the Board of Directors.
- Past Chairman of the 1989 APICS International Conference and Technical Exposition.
- Past Member, APICS Body-of-Knowledge Council, an important group of individuals who are tasked with defining the operations management body-of-knowledge.
- Past Chairman of the APICS Education Strategy Committee.
Mr. Dunn has substantial experience in organization governance; having served on a number of private, public and non-profit Boards of Directors. In addition to his own Board of Directors, Mr. Dunn currently serves as an independent Director on the following Boards:
- Idaho Asphalt Supply Corporation is the largest western states producer of standard and polymer modified asphalts (PMA) paving and road coating products and chemicals, with liquid asphalt manufacturing facilities located across seven states. Mr. Dunn is also Chairman of the Board’s Compensation & Audit Committees.
- Natural Alternatives International, Inc. (NASDAQ: NAII) is an international producer of nutritional supplements with cGMP & TGA compliant factories in California and Switzerland. Mr. Dunn is also a Member of the Board’s Compensation and Audit Committees.
- Western Emulsions, Inc.
Mr. Dunn holds a BA degree in business management from California State University in Fullerton. He is also qualified by APICS as a Certified Practitioner in Inventory & Production Management (CPIM). Mr. Dunn remains an active and engaged professional member of APICS and the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). Alan is a recipient of NACD’s “2007 Board Member of the Year” award.