2014 NESCON Supply Chain Hall of Fame Winner
The 2014 honoree for NESCON’s Supply Chain Hall of Fame Award (the award for outstanding leadership and contribution to the Supply Chain profession) is Bernard J. Hennessy, C.P.M. He has been in the procurement & supply-chain management field for over FIFTY years. If you do the math, you can see that Bernie is one amazing and unique supply chain professional, and we all have been lucky to be associated with such an amazing role model for so many years! Bernie’s was the Director of Purchasing for several major organizations in the Public, Private, and Non-Profit areas. Some examples include:
- Beth Israel Hospital,
- Hebrew Rehab Center,
- The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA),
- Middlesex County’s FIRST Purchasing Director, where he consolidated all purchasing functions for the entire county, including the court system, under one department,
- He was also a Contracts Manager for Raytheon,
- Manager of Materials for the Mass. Water Resource Authority (MWRA), where he consolidated purchasing, warehousing, and inventory management.
While this length of service alone is a significant accomplishment, this year’s recipient has also distinguished himself in service to the profession, in MULTIPLE ways! Educationally, he has accomplished the following:
- B.A. in Business Administration from Boston College in 1967.
- He earned his Purchasing Certification, and is now recognized as a Lifetime C.P.M.
- Three certifications from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, including:
- Certified Public Purchasing in Design and Construction Contracting,
- Certified Public Purchasing in Supplies & Services,
- General Certification in Public Purchasing.
Currently, Bernie is involved in a wide-array of activities! He is:
- Chairperson of Facilities & Logistics for this New England Supply Chain Conference,
- Past Affiliate Representative for Mass Public Purchasing Officers, with the National Institute of Governmental Purchasing (NIGP),
- Plymouth Mass. Democratic Town Committee AND Steering Committee,
- Past Director of National Affairs for PMAB,
- He is a past President of the Purchasing Management Association of Boston (where he received its highest honor, the Harry J. Graham Award, for outstanding & unselfish service to the purchasing profession).
Bernie has always been one of the first to volunteer to support our profession whenever called upon. He has in the past been a:
- Presenter at the National Institute of Governmental Purchasing Annual Conference,
- Guest lecturer at Curry College,
- Presenter at several local affiliates’ educational programs.
In addition, he has been with the Steering Committee of this New England Supply Chain conference since the very beginning, back in 2004.
This year’s nomination committee believes that the personal integrity and untiring dedication to our supply chain profession that our recipient has consistently exhibited place our honoree in esteemed company with the high standards set by our previous NESCON Supply Chain Hall of Fame winners.
Our 5th Annual Supply Chain Hall of Fame inductee is Bernie Hennessy, C.P.M.